The 7 Best Outdoor Activities in Hong Kong
Although Hong Kong is famous for its towering skyscrapers, dazzling neon lights, and hustle and bustle, what makes it a truly special place is its proximity to nature. Beaches, mountains, and sea, all waiting to be explored. Chatteris’ own Jamie Walliker gives her rankings of the 7 best outdoor activities in Hong Kong.
1.Hiking – Hiking is one of the best and easiest ways to explore the outdoors in Hong Kong. Whether you’re a hiking novice or a skilled expert, there’s a wide variety of difficulty and views you can find on some of the trails here.
2. Stream Hiking – Stream hiking is exactly what it sounds like, hiking up a stream. It usually involves hiking, scrambling, and sometimes swimming. It’s a great outdoor option for some of the hotter months. Check out Chatteris’ own Luke’s recount of his favourite stream hike up the Gan Bai Stream.
3. Coasteering – For the adventurous out there, coasteering is one of the most challenging yet fun outdoor activities in Hong Kong. It involves exploring rocky coastlines and can include scrambling, climbing, jumping and swimming.
4. Kayaking – Kayaking is a great way to get out on the water and explore some of the outlying islands and areas of Hong Kong. Rentals are usually available by the hour in places like Sai Kung, Stanley, and Wong Chuk Hang.
5. Surfing – If you want to try out surfing, there are a few great places around to rent and try riding a wave. Big Wave Bay is the most easily accessible place to try out surfing, and there are some further away places in Sai Kung and Cheung Sha that also have rentals and great waves.
6. Biking – Biking is a great way to check out places in the New Territories, and even on some outlying islands. Rentals are easy to find, and quite cheap as well. If you’re looking for a big adventure, rent a bike in Tuen Mun and ride all the way to the other side of New Territories in Ma On Shan, and finish the day dropping your bikes off in Sha Tin.
7. Sports – Besides the plentiful option of solo and group outdoor adventures, there are also various sports groups around. Sports like football, rugby, swimming, basketball, badminton, and so on are always looking for people to join a team. Do a quick google or Facebook search to find and get in touch with a team or organization. Chatteris tutor Adam recently gave his suggestions for sports to join in Hong Kong.
Are you interested in exploring Hong Kong’s great outdoors? Click here to find out more.